Jane Coats Eckert’s roots are in 19th and early 20th century American Art. For many years she lectured and published books on artists from that era. In 1996 she opened a gallery in Naples, Florida where she met artist Robert Rauschenberg and formed a business relationship and friendship that would last until his passing. Today the gallery is located in the beautiful village of Kent, Connecticut where she continues to feature the early American artists alongside the finest of Modern and Contemporary Art.
Ms. Eckert is currently Chair of the President’s Circle at Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. She has served as the Chair of the Director’s Advisory Council at Mass MoCA in North Adams, MA and as the Secretary of the Fine Art Dealers Association (FADA). Litchfield Magazine recently named her as one of the “25 Most Influential People” for 2017 in Litchfield County, Connecticut. She is a partner in Coats Wright Art and Design in Carmel, Indiana and is the exclusive representative of the American Realist painter, Eric Forstmann.
- 1995-1996: “Theodore Clement Steele: An American Master of Light” at the Evansville Museum of Art, History, & Science in Evansville, Indiana.
- 1996-1997: “Winterworks: Robert Rauschenberg & Darryl Pottorf” at the Naples Philharmonic Museum of Art in Naples, Florida.
- 1999: “Rauschenberg/Pottorf” Show at the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio
- 1999: “L.A. Uncovered + Quattro Mani” a joint show by Robert Rauschenberg & Darryl Pottorf
- 2000: “Art and Archives” an exhibition on painter Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- 2000: “Ruminations + New Series” a joint show by Robert Rauschenberg & James Rosenquist
- 2001: “Skrebneski: The First Fifty Years” by photographer Victor Skrebneski
- 2002: “Beamer Paintings and the BMW Art Car: A Retrospective” by Robert Rauschenberg
- 2002: “Don Gummer: Lyrical Constructivist” at the Evansville Museum of Art, History, & Science in Evansville, Indiana.
- 2003: “The Gates, a Project for Central Park, New York City” and “Over the River, Project for the Arkansas River, State of Colorado” by Christo & Jeanne Claude at the Gallery of Fine Art at Edison College.
- 2004: “Chinese Landscapes + Seven Chinese Characters” a joint show by Robert Rauschenberg & Roy Lichtenstein
- 2005: “Robert Rauschenberg Masterworks,” Munich, Germany
She also curated exhibitions for such artists as Julian Stanczak, Mel Kendrick, Tony Bennett and Charles Arnoldi.
Jane has published many books and catalogues on art, including:
- EFA, etc., a book detailing the repertoire of artists represented by Eckert Fine Art
- The Hoosier Group: Five American Painters by Judith Newton and Dr. William H. Gerdts
- Fruit, Fabric, Cash, Clouds: Eric Forstmann Works 1990-2007, a book that complimented an exhibition of Eric Forstmann at the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio
- Interior/Exterior: The Work of Eric Forstmann, a book that complimented exhibitions of Eric Forstmann at the Kemper Museum of Art in Kansas City, Missouri and the Evansville Museum of Arts, History, and Science in Evansville, Indiana.